Saturday, January 30, 2010

(Cat)astrophicThinking

This is the tale of some rascally foster kittens I had and how being a cat mom is preparing me for being a mom to furless children! Thanks to The Naughty Kitty Club for letting I HAVE CAT post here today!

*****

Doctor Wagner rips the top page from her prescription pad and hands it to me. “Petey Arslanian” it says scrawled with blue ink in cursive along the top. I stare at it with a total lack of recognition, disoriented by the mash-up of names. As it slowly registers, a giggle escapes my lips.

It’s only after I lug all 20 pounds of my grey tuxedo cat home that the enormity of it hits me. Without legal proceedings or consent, the two furry creatures living in my house have assumed my last name (having been neutered, I couldn’t even call my Mom and tease her about the family name carrying on). These two live beings are completely under my care.

As I reflect on life with my two furry sons, it’s fair to say they’ve given me a glimpse into Motherhood of the more traditional kind. Heck, maybe Petey and Kip are my dry run.

Foster Mom

When younger, I was convinced my mother needlessly tortured herself by concocting obscure scenarios that could befall my sister and I. Then I got cat (s).

Early into my fostering gig, I brought home three brownish-black kittens. A few hours into their stay I noticed things had gotten unusually quiet. Closets were emptied, furniture turned over, screens double-checked. No kitties. I even got down on my hands and knees to check the baseboards for holes around air conditioning units and heaters. The kittens were AWOL.

I told myself not to panic and assume the worse. Setting wet food out as bait, I went out to dinner convincing myself that by the time I got home the bowl would be licked clean and all three kittens would be scampering about. They had to use the litter box at some point right?

3 hours later:

Returning from dinner I found the food untouched and the litter undisturbed. I’d been level headed up until this point, but hysteria was creeping in. My friend E_____ was unlucky enough to be with me and together we turned the apartment upside-down.

Picture 3

Now you see us....now you don't.

Kip and Petey, the resident cats, sat in the living room as if nothing were amiss. At first I watched them thinking they’d tip their hand and reveal the location of the kitties, but now I was reduced to begging them to “take me to the kitties!” not surprisingly I received blank stares in return. I was chastising myself for ever letting them out of the cage even though the cat people had assured me they would be fine.

My worst fears were: a) They had found a hole and burrowed into the walls of my apartment and I’d start smelling rotting kitty flesh in the coming days. b) They’d found a hole leading outside and were out on the streets of New York City.

Neither scenario was comforting and both meant I was not to be trusted with young lives.

7 hours:

It was close to midnight. Up to that point I’d managed to suspend reality, keeping my fears at bay. Drained and defeated I sat at the edge of the sofa dropped my head into my hands and began sobbing uncontrollably. “It’ all myyy faaault. They’ll never (sob) let me (sob) foster again!”

Poor E___ stood frozen on the staircase unprepared with how to deal in this particular situation. Finally he came to his senses, sat down next to me and putting his arm around my shoulder told me it would be okay. I drank myself to sleep.

16 hours:

I barely slept that night, waking up frequently in hopes of escaping my tormenting thoughts only to realize they weren’t dreams at all. Finally the sun rose and summoning my courage, I slowly walked down the stairs convinced I would find three little kitties eating or napping. Nothing. No kittens in sight.

With a pit in my stomach I sat on the top step and knew what I had to do. I couldn’t put it off any longer. I picked up my blackberry and dialed the cat people.

“Hi J____, sorry to call so early but…I’m not sure how to say this…I’ve umm…I’ve lost the kittens.”

“Ohhh, those little guys are such rascals, they probably just found a good hiding place. They’ll turn up in no time.” she replied.

“Um…no, you don’t understand,” I persisted. Just as I settled down to convince J___ of my crime, I saw something move from the corner of my eye. I looked down and saw a tiny head peaked out from under the sofa. “Oh,” I said into the phone. “Let’s pretend this call never happened.”

I hung up and ran to the sofa just in time to see three kittens scamper into a hole in the upholstery leading into the back of the sofa. Now, this was the same sofa I’d sobbed on and, at one point had turned up on its end in an effort to find them. They must have been swinging by their little claws terrified, but not making a peep!

Initiated into the Club

My only job was to protect them and the possibility of having failed them made me sick to my stomach. Because of cats, in my life, I was allowed a sneak peak into the paranoid world of furless-baby-moms everywhere:

What if the screens in the window become loose and they inadvertently lean against them, plummeting to their death?

How many sneezes constitute a cold?

Am I endangering their lives by brining fresh flowers into my apartment?

What if they eat the clumping litter and it solidifies inside of them?

I can’t even fathom the thought of losing your own flesh and blood. Going over the possibilities again and again – how it happened, where they could be, what you missed or could have done differently. It seems like a miracle as many of us survive past toddlerhood. So the next time I’m on a busy NYC sidewalk jostled aside by some aggressive stroller-pushing mother I’ll take a deep breath and remind myself they’re just moms too.

Thanks Mom, for taking such good care of us.

xo

Come meet me and my cats at my blog I HAVE CAT where I write about being Single, in NYC - with cat (s)

6 comments:

  1. I understand that whole "I lost the cat" terror - when we first brought Barney home he found a wonderful hiding spot, and being not quite 5 weeks old was out cold and I couldn't find him and I was in a total panic. Now, luckily my loss was much shorter (he hid somehwere that I never thought any cat could fit, under a corner table that has a very low, closed off shelf) because he eventually woke up, but it is still a panic for a while. I guess that is why he is the founder of the club!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG! I can sooo relate to this!! I've been in both places. My own flesh-and-blood children are now adults with their own familes. But my kitty family is still very much with me. One of them has twice competely disappeared, resulting in exactly this sort of frantic search. Both times, she has turned up inside the couch...but not just hiding...she was stuck, somehow having managed to get herself wedged in between the outer side frame/fabric and the recliner mechanism! Luckily, no one sat down and tried to recline--I shudder to think what would have happened.
    She was an equal-opportunity panic-causer--she did a similar stunt in the other couch about 2 months later! Yikes!

    ...Lizzy..."Mom" to Tigger, Munchkin, Jigsaw and Patches.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lizzy that sounds so scary! thank goodness you found her - was she making any noise? These guys were dead quiet!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome post! I had someone call me last week who adopted a kitten from me - she was in tears because she lost the kitten a week after she adopted her. She was sure the kitten ran outside when she opened the door to accept a delivery. I was ready to drive over and start plastering the neighborhood with signs, but a more experienced foster mom told me about how most likely the kitten was hiding in the house. Sure enough, the adopter found the missing kitten a few hours later, just laying on the bed like she'd never been gone.

    ReplyDelete
  5. omg! I can so relate! Thanks for posting a comment! hope you chekc out my blog!

    ReplyDelete